Thursday, November 11, 2010

Call Me Crazy...

October 30th, 2010

So, a few months ago I read this book, "The Ride of Our Lives" by Mike Leonard. It cronicles the true-life adventures of a family of 5 that traveled around the US in an RV for three months or so. The book was fantastic; sometimes harrowing, sometimes hilarious, but always interesting. When I was done reading I thought, "Hey, we should do that!" Heather and I have talked for years about how we'd love to see all of the US. We have made a few roadtrips (pre-children), to North Carolina, Florida and Northern Wisconsin. We longed to see the western US, the eastern coast, more of the beautiful southern states, and everywhere in between. The problem has been, how to go about it...where to go first, how to take off for long periods of time with work, school, and the Subway stores to contend with. And so, it hasn't happened.

After reading "The Ride of Our Lives" I did a little Googling and found blogs and websites of several families who were living full time on the road in their RV's. This concept struck me like a bolt of lightening! I casually mentioned to Heather this amazing idea and she seemed mildly receptive to it, but surprisingly didn't shoot it down. Since Heather is the voice of reason in our household, I took this as a sign that it was not such a nutty idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment